First  Prev  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next  Last

Crunchyroll hits the PlayStation Vita!

Post Reply
15355 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14
Wii U Wii U Wii U!! Do not forget Wii U Users!
21119 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14

ironhead78 wrote:

Okay, am I the only who's been having this problem with the app? When you leave the PS Vita alone, it goes into sleep mode EXCEPT if a video is playing. Same thing if you're watching something on YouTube and Netflix. So why does it go into sleep mode when I'm trying to watch a anime with the Crunchyroll app? Is there an option I don't see that will fix it? It's annoying to have to keep tapping on the screen to keep the thing from going into sleep mode while I'm trying to watch Kill la Kill.


No, you are not along. Everyone has the same problem. Somebody said you can keep a finger on the back touchpad. I tried it yesterday, it works. We can only hope Sony to fix it
193 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
22 / M / U.S.A. OH
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14
I LOVE YOU, as much as Oshino Shinobu loves doughnuts
24187 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
27 / M / Winter Park, FL
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14
the app is a bit buggy, and with some videos, they don't load fast enough for a continuos stream, and sometime i have to restart my PSVita to get videos to work again.
21028 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14
Waiting patiently on that Xbox One app, but obnoxiously posting it.
27203 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14

Anewbis wrote:


ck920 wrote:

To prevent the screen from dimming, you can leave a finger on the back touchpad while holding the Vita.


I'll try this. If so, maybe that explains how it got past QA.


QA? Yeah right!
17878 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / UK
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14
Come on guys, even Indie devs make their apps available in more countries than you do
12967 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
79 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14
Good update that many can enjoy outdoors =)
67510 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


LoomyTheBrew wrote:

But Wii U is totally doable. Nintendo works great with indies and would probably be more than willing to help. You make it sound like it's such a huge endeavor to develop the app for the Wii U. It wouldn't be any harder than the PS3 and 360 app was.

You are equating working with independent game developers with independent app developers. The two don't necessarily go hand in hand.

If Nintendo is so accepting of independent streaming video apps on the Wii U, where are the video apps beyond the 3 big services (Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Instant Video) that I mentioned earlier?


That has nothing to do with Nintendo. I brought up the indie example because that shows that Nintendo isn't strict and demanding and is willing to be flexible (at least now they are). You think Nintendo would make it more of challenge for Crunchyroll or any other streaming service to put their app on Wii U? It's not like Nintendo saying, "NO! You we don't want your app!" They would probably be happy if CR decided to make an app for Wii U.

It's all up to the developer, which is Crunchyroll here. The gate is open for CR to develop an app for Wii U. What else does Nintendo have to do?
111654 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
58 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14

LoomyTheBrew wrote:

That has nothing to do with Nintendo.

If it doesn't, why are there no other video apps on the Wii U?

I can cite other devices such as the WDTV Live that very likely don't have more units in the field than the Wii U, yet have more streaming video providers. Even the Roku isn't that far ahead (close to 8 million units sold as of January 2014), but it absolutely crushes the Wii U in terms of number of video providers.

Clearly it isn't the number of installed units that is the primary hinderance for video providers. That leaves the following possibilities:

1. It is considerably more difficult to develop for than these other platforms.

2. Nintendo is making it difficult or problematic for developers to get apps on the system.

3. Both of the above.

If you can come up with any other explanations that make any sense, state them.

67510 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 8/23/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


LoomyTheBrew wrote:

That has nothing to do with Nintendo.

If it doesn't, why are there no other video apps on the Wii U?

I can cite other devices such as the WDTV Live that very likely don't have more units in the field than the Wii U, yet have more streaming video providers. Even the Roku isn't that far ahead (close to 8 million units sold as of January 2014), but it absolutely crushes the Wii U in terms of number of video providers.

Clearly it isn't the number of installed units that is the primary hinderance for video providers. That leaves the following possibilities:

1. It is considerably more difficult to develop for than these other platforms.

2. Nintendo is making it difficult or problematic for developers to get apps on the system.

3. Both of the above.

If you can come up with any other explanations that make any sense, state them.



1. That would make since, but many developers have already stated Wii U is extremely easy to develop for. I'll give this to you though, all of them are game developers that said that and not stream providers. But, stream providers haven't spoken out against Wii U so don't know the real reason.

2. Like I've already said, Nintendo is pretty flexible and accommodating so I just don't this happening.

See, everything is up in the air because we really don't know what the deal is. Crunchyroll hasn't stated anything about the matter and no other stream providers have said, "Wii U is difficult to develop for." Therefore, we can't really say either way.

We have no hard evidence to prove either side. That's why Crunchyroll should come out put the record straight.
111654 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
58 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14

LoomyTheBrew wrote:

We have no hard evidence to prove either side. That's why Crunchyroll should come out put the record straight.

If CR did say something, that wouldn't likely endear them to Nintendo.

Even if CR had written off ever being on any Nintendo device, explaining why they can't, even in "nice" terms could also make other platform manufacturers more leery of dealing with them.

Transparency may be a popular catchphrase, but unfortunately In business, there are times when keeping one's mouth shut is the best call, especially if you are a company stuck in the middle.

The lack of other video streaming apps on the Wii U beyond those 3 is evidence for me. I may not be able to see any fire, but there is plenty of smoke.

67510 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


LoomyTheBrew wrote:

We have no hard evidence to prove either side. That's why Crunchyroll should come out put the record straight.

If CR did say something, that wouldn't likely endear them to Nintendo.

Even if CR had written off ever being on any Nintendo device, explaining why they can't, even in "nice" terms could also make other platform manufacturers more leery of dealing with them.

Transparency may be a popular catchphrase, but unfortunately In business, there are times when keeping one's mouth shut is the best call, especially if you are a company stuck in the middle.

The lack of other video streaming apps on the Wii U beyond those 3 is evidence for me. I may not be able to see any fire, but there is plenty of smoke.



Well the silent treatment can only go so far. More and more demand for a Wii U app will increase, I guarantee it.

If CR were to say something like, "Because of unsuccessful deals and arrangements, a Wii U app won't be coming" would be enough for us to speculate what happened. Also. saying something like that wouldn't ruin their reputation with anyone at all.

Just tell us, at least a little bit, on why it's not going to come if it is indeed not coming. CR just can't leave us in the cold with no answer.

And it could mean anything that those popular streaming apps are the only ones on Wii U! There isn't enough evidence to say that they're not developing for Wii U because Nintendo themselves is making it hard on them. It could just be that they don't want to bring their app to system because Wii U isn't that popular.

But CR is in a different situation. They've brought their app to the VITA. That is extremely unpopular and it's gaining them nothing with putting it on there. So if they're bringing it to the Vita, then they might as well bring it to the Wii U.
34068 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14
Why not in UK? :/ what's the point of posting the announcement at the top of the UK site when it's not available.
76212 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
58 / M / NE Ohio | Beijing
Offline
Posted 3/20/14 , edited 3/20/14

LightInDark12 wrote: Why not in UK? :/ what's the point of posting the announcement at the top of the UK site when it's not available.

Yeah, they have got to fix that pop-up announcement to at the very least skip it when its directed to something that's got region restrictions, like Notrth and South America for the PS Vita app.

As far as why, likely the same hold up with the PS3/4, except without the same work-around available.
First  Prev  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.