First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last

Too much exclusive licensing

Post Reply
1194 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
48 / F / Europe
Offline
Posted 4/10/19 , edited 4/11/19

TheAncientOne wrote:


Naruto4LaifuSakuraMyWaifu wrote:

Seems like Funimation grabbed up like half the shows coming out this season, even pure moe stuff like Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san, which I 100% expected to be here.

At this point, Funimation has 14 titles from this season, while CR has 17 (not counting two 1-2 episode specials). Not counting those 2 specials, there are 48 new titles this season. Given that both services share 3 titles, combined they have a bit over 58% of the shows coming out this season. I don't know if Funimation is finished with their announcements, but CR certainly isn't (as the lineup page has 23 boxes at present).

Frankly, it shouldn't be a surprise that Funimation came out strong, or how many they could get. 14 is also the number they had for Winter 2016, a couple of seasons prior to the partnership. They were down to 9 for the next season, but came back stronger the season prior the partnership, with 19 titles. That was also the season only two titles (one a single episode special, the other a short form anime) went without either a simulcast or later streaming by Netflix, which illustrates the positive side of such competition.




Cobaltseas wrote:

Funimation does not provide streaming services in Europe (or much outside the US?)

They've been streaming in the UK and Ireland for some time, which the last time I checked is part of Europe. Perhaps you should have said, "continental Europe" or "mainland Europe" there.



While you may be quite correct, wouldn't surprise me, you also miss the point. It doesn't matter if Funimation might also include the odd European country or two, and I note they only included those that spoke English (??), since the main point was all the other places in the world where you wouldn't be able to see those animes that Funimation has exclusive rights to legally. So it does seem slightly pedantic to make issue of it.
At least CR is available to all, if not with the same content.
Posted 4/11/19 , edited 4/11/19
So pick a diffrent show. Variation of the same tropes has dusted down to we can watch romance, slice, action etc with diffrent characters. Not much missing out on anything.

And 60€ for a years worth content on cr. Skip a meal or two that's not exactly expensive. Or sit thru 4 blocks of ads and watch for free.
7814 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/11/19 , edited 4/11/19

Cobaltseas wrote:
It doesn't matter if Funimation might also include the odd European country or two, and I note they only included those that spoke English (??), since the main point was all the other places in the world where you wouldn't be able to see those animes that Funimation has exclusive rights to legally. So it does seem slightly pedantic to make issue of it.
At least CR is available to all, if not with the same content.


This is supposedly why Funimation declined to renew the partnership with Crunchyroll. Funimation supposedly wants to use that Sony money to expand into new markets and Crunchyroll wouldn't agree to a partnership contract that allowed Funimation to do that.

So now we wait to see if Funimation actually does expand.
1194 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
48 / F / Europe
Offline
Posted 4/11/19 , edited 4/11/19

HOOfan_1 wrote:


Cobaltseas wrote:
It doesn't matter if Funimation might also include the odd European country or two, and I note they only included those that spoke English (??), since the main point was all the other places in the world where you wouldn't be able to see those animes that Funimation has exclusive rights to legally. So it does seem slightly pedantic to make issue of it.
At least CR is available to all, if not with the same content.


This is supposedly why Funimation declined to renew the partnership with Crunchyroll. Funimation supposedly wants to use that Sony money to expand into new markets and Crunchyroll wouldn't agree to a partnership contract that allowed Funimation to do that.

So now we wait to see if Funimation actually does expand.


Indeed. And where. Not to mention at what cost. One thing that made Amazon ridiculous for me was that the cost simply did not equal what was delivered. I didn't have the same access as that of the US market, so even though the cost was less, it did not justify the limited amount of animes on offer. Nor in other respects were there enough benefits, but that is another problem.

So I will wait and see to what actually is before I allow myself to get my hopes up. Since my access always seems to be limited to some degree, it will depend on how much, and at what cost I will have to pay for what I do get. If I get anything at all.
100928 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
46 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/11/19 , edited 4/13/19
It's always us kids who suffer most in a divorce.

668 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/11/19 , edited 4/11/19
Is it really such a terrible thing that some shows sign exclusive deals? You can always buy the Blue ray or just wait a while for it to appear elsewhere.

If it helps finance more anime I don't mind it - competition between multiple outlets trying to buy the anime has to be good for the industry.

5087 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/11/19 , edited 4/13/19

Karrissel wrote:

Is it really such a terrible thing that some shows sign exclusive deals? You can always buy the Blue ray or just wait a while for it to appear elsewhere.

If it helps finance more anime I don't mind it - competition between multiple outlets trying to buy the anime has to be good for the industry.



Competition is good for the industry, but exclusive licenses aren't about competition. They're about stifling competition. Competition would be one company trying to attract users by offering a better product (e.g. a streaming service with better features or a cheaper price point). This is companies trying to attract users by paying to make competing products worse.
668 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/11/19 , edited 4/11/19

JorduSpeaks wrote:


Karrissel wrote:

Is it really such a terrible thing that some shows sign exclusive deals? You can always buy the Blue ray or just wait a while for it to appear elsewhere.

If it helps finance more anime I don't mind it - competition between multiple outlets trying to buy the anime has to be good for the industry.



Competition is good for the industry, but exclusive licenses aren't about competition. They're about stifling competition. Competition would be one company trying to attract users by offering a better product (e.g. a streaming service with better features or a cheaper price point). This is companies trying to attract users by paying to make competing products worse.


Not really - different companies are competing with exclusive content to get you to subscribe to their service.

This competition drives better prices for anime producers which means more anime.

I don't buy the idea that a market where one streaming service shows everything is good for consumers - that's just a monopoly and those are never in a consumers interest.

5087 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/11/19 , edited 4/11/19

Karrissel wrote:


Not really - different companies are competing with exclusive content to get you to subscribe to their service.

This competition drives better prices for anime producers which means more anime.

I don't buy the idea that a market where one streaming service shows everything is good for consumers - that's just a monopoly and those are never in a consumers interest.



Creating monopolies is exactly what is going on here, though. Amazon gets a monopoly on Dororo. Funimation gets a monopoly on One Punch Man. It's like if you went to buy hamburger meat at Publix and were told that only Wal-Mart has the distribution rights for beef. Do you want to grill up a bacon cheeseburger? You'll need to visit three different grocery stores, and one of them is two states over. Does that sound like a situation in the customer's interest?

Bigger streaming sites are trying to drive smaller sites out of business, not by making a better product, but by making their opponent's product worse.
7814 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/11/19 , edited 4/12/19

JorduSpeaks wrote:

Creating monopolies is exactly what is going on here, though. Amazon gets a monopoly on Dororo. Funimation gets a monopoly on One Punch Man. It's like if you went to buy hamburger meat at Publix and were told that only Wal-Mart has the distribution rights for beef. Do you want to grill up a bacon cheeseburger? You'll need to visit three different grocery stores, and one of them is two states over. Does that sound like a situation in the customer's interest?

.


I agree. A more free market would mean Funimation, Crunchyroll, HIDIVE, HULU and Netflix all have everything, you just choose which has the better apps and other services.
668 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/11/19 , edited 4/11/19

JorduSpeaks wrote:

Creating monopolies is exactly what is going on here, though. Amazon gets a monopoly on Dororo. Funimation gets a monopoly on One Punch Man. It's like if you went to buy hamburger meat at Publix and were told that only Wal-Mart has the distribution rights for beef. Do you want to grill up a bacon cheeseburger?


What you are describing is more like why can I only buy brand x burgers in brand x store - I want it to also be in brand y store. There are plenty of other burgers - no one service has the exclusive on all sports animes or rom coms etc.

None of this is really a monopoly since you can buy the blue rays or just wait for it to appear on the free version of lots of the services.

Exclusives is about the only real way to compete between the streaming services - one stream is pretty much the same as another and price competition will just be a race to the bottom unless you can get a lot more people to watch anime.

75 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
41 / M
Offline
Posted 4/11/19 , edited 4/11/19

HOOfan_1 wrote:


JorduSpeaks wrote:

Creating monopolies is exactly what is going on here, though. Amazon gets a monopoly on Dororo. Funimation gets a monopoly on One Punch Man. It's like if you went to buy hamburger meat at Publix and were told that only Wal-Mart has the distribution rights for beef. Do you want to grill up a bacon cheeseburger? You'll need to visit three different grocery stores, and one of them is two states over. Does that sound like a situation in the customer's interest?

.


I agree. A more free market would mean Funimation, Crunchyroll, HIDIVE, HULU and Netflix all have everything, you just choose which has the better apps and other services.



Yeahhh, F all this exclusives if it ain't on CR or Netflix(even tho they take months after the show actually releases) then you know what must be done...... it's a _____ life for me then
1194 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
48 / F / Europe
Offline
Posted 4/11/19 , edited 4/12/19

Karrissel wrote:


JorduSpeaks wrote:

Creating monopolies is exactly what is going on here, though. Amazon gets a monopoly on Dororo. Funimation gets a monopoly on One Punch Man. It's like if you went to buy hamburger meat at Publix and were told that only Wal-Mart has the distribution rights for beef. Do you want to grill up a bacon cheeseburger?


What you are describing is more like why can I only buy brand x burgers in brand x store - I want it to also be in brand y store. There are plenty of other burgers - no one service has the exclusive on all sports animes or rom coms etc.

None of this is really a monopoly since you can buy the blue rays or just wait for it to appear on the free version of lots of the services.

Exclusives is about the only real way to compete between the streaming services - one stream is pretty much the same as another and price competition will just be a race to the bottom unless you can get a lot more people to watch anime.



No it's a monopoly. This is more like say Wendy's buying up the rights to hamburgers the world over, and only selling them in the US. That nobody else can market hamburgers anywhere. So if you unfortunately want a hamburger where they don't have any outlets, you can't get one legally because not only do they have a monopoly on sales in countries that have Wendys, they don't allow any other place to sell hamburgers even where they themselves don't. So you go to places that do so illegally, as people want hamburgers. (FYI I have never seen a Wendy's outside of the US)

Streaming services do not necessarily stream world wide. If they won the exclusive rights to an anime they prohibit anyone else from streaming that anime anywhere, even if they don't themselves. They completely block access to people who can't access their services to begin with by buying the exclusive rights. If other streaming services that could deliver to those areas could also buy rights to the same anime, then no one could be blocked for that reason. It would possibly ensure that prices would remain reasonable and maybe generate more money for the industry as a whole.
1068 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/11/19 , edited 4/11/19
In Japan, You can watch the same anime on Niconico, AmebaTV, Amazon Prime, dTV... you name it. Overseas? You can only watch it on one service. Of course there are exclusives, if especially if it is Netflix stuff.

I can bare with one or two shows being exclusive on a certain platform, but not most of them.

I hope more anime can be simulcast on multiple platforms like Promised Neverland (CR, FUNi, HIDIVE, Hulu) and Demon Slayer (CR, FUNi, Hulu).
6043 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
The Land Of Hope...
Offline
Posted 4/11/19 , edited 4/12/19
As an analogy, a few years ago in England, Sky had exclusive rights to premier league football. No one particularly liked that Sky had a monopoly, but at least you had access to everything once you paid your subscription.

The government then changed the rules to open up the market to create competition and fairness for the consumers. After this, British Telecom grabbed half of the premier league games, and Sky the other half.

Hurrah! No more monopoly, the consumer gets a free choice, and everybody wins!

Except, that’s not what actually happened. It’s certainly true that BT got half the games, and Sky got the other half, but the average football fan now had to either miss out on half of the games, or stump up twice as much money as they were previously paying just to get back to where they started from. And don’t try telling a football fan to go watch some other game if the one they want is not available on the service they subscribe to as all the games are pretty much all alike.

Now, I’m not a football fan, and I cant stand the game, so none of this affected me, but I can certainly understand the anger and frustration of the average fan.

Multiple competing platforms with exclusive content might be beneficial for the platforms or content creators, but they are rarely of benefit to the end consumer, who is almost always obliged to pay out even more money just to stand still, or is left to go without.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.