My Inbox is disabled for a year with no reason

Post Reply
539 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/30/19 , edited 3/30/19
For a year my Inbox messages were disabled I was not given a reason and somehow this is still happening for over a year. I have been a premuim member for a year and this is how I am treated why? This is nonsensical. I want my inbox to be un-disabled.
122141 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 3/30/19 , edited 3/30/19

iritthander wrote:

For a year my Inbox messages were disabled I was not given a reason and somehow this is still happening for over a year. I have been a premuim member for a year and this is how I am treated why? This is nonsensical. I want my inbox to be un-disabled.


Right now it appears that Private Messages are disabled for everyone, and have been for a few months. I suspect this is also the case for you and that it has not actually been a year.
539 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/31/19 , edited 3/31/19
" I suspect this is also the case for you and that it has not actually been a year." Let me start by saying how rude. "For a year my Inbox messages were disabled" it has been and I did not care until I got messages that I wanted to see. Telling me that I am a liar for stating my issue and not trying to inquire further is a bad attitude and extremely rude. My problem is that my inbox has been disabled for a year and I want to know why I do not care if it has been disabled for you for a few months I want to know why I was disabled for a year and I want it fixed.
Der Zoodirektor
27333 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
36 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 3/31/19 , edited 3/31/19

iritthander wrote:

" I suspect this is also the case for you and that it has not actually been a year." Let me start by saying how rude. "For a year my Inbox messages were disabled" it has been and I did not care until I got messages that I wanted to see. Telling me that I am a liar for stating my issue and not trying to inquire further is a bad attitude and extremely rude. My problem is that my inbox has been disabled for a year and I want to know why I do not care if it has been disabled for you for a few months I want to know why I was disabled for a year and I want it fixed.


Private messages are disabled for everyone, not just for you. Any unread message potentially displayed will be a system message, not a message from a fellow user.
111553 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
58 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 3/31/19 , edited 3/31/19

iritthander wrote:

Telling me that I am a liar for stating my issue and not trying to inquire further is a bad attitude and extremely rude.

Lying requires the person to know their statement is incorrect. Incorrect perception of the length of time is a common occurrence. I've had people tell me something was going on for 2 years and presented them with proof it was only 8 months, and other similar circumstances. In most cases they were surprised themselves that it was a shorter length of time than they recalled.

In any case, PM's have been disabled for everyone for quite a long time now, so even if yours were down earlier, we are now in the same boat now.
36480 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / M / U.S.
Offline
Posted 3/31/19 , edited 4/1/19

iritthander wrote:

For a year my Inbox messages were disabled I was not given a reason and somehow this is still happening for over a year. I have been a premuim member for a year and this is how I am treated why? This is nonsensical. I want my inbox to be un-disabled.


As previously mentioned, private messages have been gone for absolutely everyone for months now. If you contact customer service, you'll be told that they don't know when a fix is coming. A Crunchyroll representative who posted a few days ago about a new direction for the forum stated that they didn't know when or if private messages are coming back. Neither management or technical staff have commented on the situation. There are lots of other problems too---the manga app has been broken for months, for example.

If you think it is outrageous to be treated this way after being a paying customer for a year, I've been a paying customer for over 7 years. If they fix the private messages in stages, I'd better get service before you.
15956 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 4/18/19 , edited 4/18/19
private message has been disabled at least as early as June 2018.
https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1021376/private-messages#57654283
though at the time, only some users were having issues with pm.
as of now, 317 days since the issue was first reported in a thread. i would postulate that the developers accidentally deleted part of the spaguetti code that handles pm and are now having trouble maintaining the code. i dont think it should take that long to code the om functionality, but then again - Crunchyroll doesnt want to pay to get that functionality back.
2299 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
39 / F / Shattered in a wo...
Offline
Posted 4/18/19 , edited 4/19/19

namealreadytaken wrote:

private message has been disabled at least as early as June 2018.
https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1021376/private-messages#57654283
though at the time, only some users were having issues with pm.
as of now, 317 days since the issue was first reported in a thread. i would postulate that the developers accidentally deleted part of the spaguetti code that handles pm and are now having trouble maintaining the code. i dont think it should take that long to code the om functionality, but then again - Crunchyroll doesnt want to pay to get that functionality back.


Let's be really honest here. PMs are unnecessary. Why? Care to take a guess at how many legit pedophile perverts exclusively use PM? Tons. They removed tag search due to these same people. Mods have access to PMs so its deleted for everyone else.
15956 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 4/18/19 , edited 4/19/19

BrightLight123 wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:

private message has been disabled at least as early as June 2018.
https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1021376/private-messages#57654283
though at the time, only some users were having issues with pm.
as of now, 317 days since the issue was first reported in a thread. i would postulate that the developers accidentally deleted part of the spaguetti code that handles pm and are now having trouble maintaining the code. i dont think it should take that long to code the om functionality, but then again - Crunchyroll doesnt want to pay to get that functionality back.


Let's be really honest here. PMs are unnecessary. Why? Care to take a guess at how many legit pedophile perverts exclusively use PM? Tons. They removed tag search due to these same people. Mods have access to PMs so its deleted for everyone else.


i disagree. granted, there are always people who will abuse the system. there were reports of people being harassed, and i did give some suggestions on how to address them back a year ago or so. there are still legitimate uses for PM, particularly if you want to contact a moderator regarding an issue you would rather not post it in public.
2299 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
39 / F / Shattered in a wo...
Offline
Posted 4/19/19 , edited 4/19/19

namealreadytaken wrote:


BrightLight123 wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:

private message has been disabled at least as early as June 2018.
https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1021376/private-messages#57654283
though at the time, only some users were having issues with pm.
as of now, 317 days since the issue was first reported in a thread. i would postulate that the developers accidentally deleted part of the spaguetti code that handles pm and are now having trouble maintaining the code. i dont think it should take that long to code the om functionality, but then again - Crunchyroll doesnt want to pay to get that functionality back.


Let's be really honest here. PMs are unnecessary. Why? Care to take a guess at how many legit pedophile perverts exclusively use PM? Tons. They removed tag search due to these same people. Mods have access to PMs so its deleted for everyone else.


i disagree. granted, there are always people who will abuse the system. there were reports of people being harassed, and i did give some suggestions on how to address them back a year ago or so. there are still legitimate uses for PM, particularly if you want to contact a moderator regarding an issue you would rather not post it in public.


I see that side too but there is literally no way to make it unable to be abused if kept, which is the issue.
122141 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 4/19/19 , edited 4/19/19

BrightLight123 wrote:
Mods have access to PMs so its deleted for everyone else.


What makes you think mods have access to PMs? How would it even be useful if they did—since no other users would be able to send or receive messages to/ from them?

Or did you mean that since mods did not have access to look at other people’s PMs, therefore the best way to
prevent abuse was to remove PMs completely?
15956 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 4/19/19 , edited 4/19/19

BrightLight123 wrote:

I see that side too but there is literally no way to make it unable to be abused if kept, which is the issue.


actually, it might very well be possible to curb a significant number of abusive posts using AI pattern recognition.
this quote is about using AI to detect bullying, but its the same idea:


“It is nearly impossible for human moderators to go through all posts manually to determine if there is a problem,” says Gilles Jacobs, a language researcher at Ghent University in Belgium. “AI is key to automating detection and moderation of bullying and trolling.”
His team trained a machine learning algorithm to spot words and phrases associated with bullying on social media site AskFM, which allows users to ask and answer questions. It managed to detect and block almost two-thirds of insults within almost 114,000 posts in English and was more accurate than a simple keyword search. Still, it did struggle with sarcastic remarks.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190207-how-artificial-intelligence-can-help-stop-bullying

the tech itself is far from new - its effectively the same method email providers use to filter out spam.

basically:
bad actor tries submitting a post and it is "successful" (so that they dont know if the system detected their text or not)
on the back end, the AI algorithm checks the post for potentially abusive text.
if the system detects such abuse, it will automatically filter it out.
otherwise, it allows the text to go the receiving end.
every text message would have a "mark this as abuse/harassment", which will feed the data back to the system and make the AI even smarter, so similar instances of abusive text becomes less and less likely.

but does it work?
just look at your email inbox. chances are, the majority, if not all, spam were already filtered out.
of course, implementing a AI algorithm would require competent engineers. the broken apps, broken video player and broken forums doesnt inspire much confidence in that regard though.




2299 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
39 / F / Shattered in a wo...
Offline
Posted 4/19/19 , edited 4/20/19

lorreen wrote:


BrightLight123 wrote:
Mods have access to PMs so its deleted for everyone else.


What makes you think mods have access to PMs? How would it even be useful if they did—since no other users would be able to send or receive messages to/ from them?

Or did you mean that since mods did not have access to look at other people’s PMs, therefore the best way to
prevent abuse was to remove PMs completely?


The latter one. Sorry I worded it poorly. But yeah. That. Without allowing access to PMs for mods, or some expensive AI system, which by my research wouldn't be cheap nor easy to implement or upkeep, there simply isn't an efficient way to prevent abuse of the PM system, from what I've noticed.
You must be logged in to post.