First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last

Domestic Girlfriend

Post Reply
14 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/15/18 , edited 8/16/18
Both
7840 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/16/18 , edited 8/16/18
Wow, the teacher you have a crush on moves into your house and becomes your step-sister.

That's a bit of a new twist on a trope. I mean, you have the awkwardness of your teacher being your step-sister, and the awkwardness of being in the same house as the person you have a crush on. I wish they were publishing these physically. $8, for a digital copy seems pretty steep.
2984 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Beneath the stars.
Offline
Posted 8/16/18 , edited 8/16/18

HOOfan_1 wrote:

Wow, the teacher you have a crush on moves into your house and becomes your step-sister.

That's a bit of a new twist on a trope. I mean, you have the awkwardness of your teacher being your step-sister, and the awkwardness of being in the same house as the person you have a crush on. I wish they were publishing these physically. $8, for a digital copy seems pretty steep.


Seriously, why are digital copies so expensive when there are absolutely no materials, printing or shipping costs involved? It literally costs them nothing to generate a digital copy. Digital copies should be a couple of bucks, and then they wonder why piracy is such a problem.
7840 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/28/18 , edited 9/28/18
I've read up to chapter 67

2984 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Beneath the stars.
Offline
Posted 9/29/18 , edited 9/29/18

HOOfan_1 wrote:

I've read up to chapter 67



One thing to consider is how radically different a high context society which values collectivism handles people who have been caught doing scandalous things vs a low context individualistic society such as our own here in the west.. Rui got caught committing statutory rape, not just with an underage student, but her own brother. Even in our low context society this is the sort of scandal that can bring down long lasting discrimination, condemnation and ruin upon everyone involved up to and including a lengthy incarceration in a steel and concrete cage.

In Japan the social and professional repercussions for such a scandal would be on a whole other level and more importantly would extend to her entire family. We are talking about bringing shame and ruin not just upon Rui and Natsuo, but their entire family. They should expect for everyone in their immediate family to be black listed and treated like pariahs by pretty much everyone they know from employers to friends to even other branches of their own family.

The fact that Rui was able to save her family from this ruinous fate just by exiling herself from her family and moving away to restart her life where nobody knows her was more than just a little lucky and shows just how much she was cared for by those at the school who uncovered their relationship. By far Rui's most childish mistake was starting an illegal and extremely taboo sexual relationship with her own underage brother and student. Everything that happened after that was just inevitable secondary fallout from her original monumental error.

Sure there are probably some things she could have done differently and handled a bit better, but the horrific damage was already done at that point. After sticking your hand in the blender failing to clean up the mess as carefully as you should afterwards barely even matters. You are just way more concerned by the fact that you are screaming in agony and you don't have a hand anymore.

Exiling herself served two purposes. The first and by far the most important reason was it was a condition from the school officials for her getting to keep a lid on the whole scandal and save bother herself and her family from ruin. The second was much more personal which is that she was unable to bear facing her family after bringing such crushing shame down upon herself and them by association. Seriously, can you imagine trying to face your family after getting caught statutory raping your own little sister or bother?

7840 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/29/18 , edited 9/29/18

MeltingSky wrote:


Exiling herself served two purposes. The first and by far the most important reason was it was a condition from the school officials for her getting to keep a lid on the whole scandal and save bother herself and her family from ruin. The second was much more personal which is that she was unable to bear facing her family after bringing such crushing shame down upon herself and them by association. Seriously, can you imagine trying to face your family after getting caught statutory raping your own little sister or bother?



I think you mean Hina and not Rui.

I actually get the impression that this is less taboo in Japan than in the US. The age of consent seems to be a lot lower in Japan, and the incest angle seems to be less taboo as well. Plus they were both physically adults when their parents married. They already had feelings for each other before they even became step-siblings.

Neither of them seemed worried about legal consequences either...and there were none even when Hina was found out. In the US, Hina absolutely would have been prosecuted.

Since the scandal was not exposed, there was no need for exile. All she had to do was transfer schools and break off her relationship with Natsuo. Since she was still phoning her mom, it seems she wasn't completely averse to facing them. Also there are hints that when Natsuo graduates High School and becomes a successful writer they plan to get together again.

Again, if she had at least tried to talk to Natsuo before unilaterally making the decision to go, it would have been better. Her whole idea of leaving was to preserve Natsuo's dream of becoming a novelist. What if he dropped out of school to go find her? What if he committed suicide because of his grief?

This reminds me a lot of Ayano's mother in Hanebado. "I'm abandoning you to help make you follow your own dream" but it nearly ends up ruining the person they want to help.
7840 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/30/18 , edited 9/30/18
gcvsa 
242 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
38 / F / Maidenhead FN32
Offline
Posted 10/1/18 , edited 10/11/18
While the age of majority in Japan is 20, the age of consent is lower, though laws vary around the different prefectures. Natsuo and Rui are both 18, and would be considered adults in most of the rest of the world. The step-sibling angle would likely be overlooked, since they had sex before they even knew that their families were going to merge. The only real taboo here is the 24-year-old teacher (Hina) and the 18-year-old student. Teacher-student relationships are considered unethical virtually everywhere in the world, even if both parties are adult and consenting. Such a relationship would be immediate grounds for termination of Hina, regardless of whether or not the scandal was even made public.

I just discovered this series a few days ago, and immediately binged the entire thing. I was a little reluctant to start it, because of the subject matter being taboo, but the characters are compelling. I can identify easily with how all three of them feel, in general terms about love and how painful it can be, though I never had similar relationships.
gcvsa 
242 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
38 / F / Maidenhead FN32
Offline
Posted 10/1/18 , edited 10/1/18
Also, while the level of nudity borders on the unrealistic and gratuitous, I do have to say that the renderings are beautiful, and a joy to behold. Rui sort of reminds me of what Akane Tendou might be in a serious romantic manga of today.
gcvsa 
242 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
38 / F / Maidenhead FN32
Offline
Posted 10/1/18 , edited 10/1/18
Does anyone know what day new chapters are published? Also, why isn't this manga available in the iOS app?
7840 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/1/18 , edited 10/2/18

gcvsa wrote:

Also, while the level of nudity borders on the unrealistic and gratuitous, I do have to say that the renderings are beautiful, and a joy to behold. Rui sort of reminds me of what Akane Tendou might be in a serious romantic manga of today.


I dunno, they only seem to get nude when in the bath or having sex. Rui tries using nudity to seduce Natsuo a few times though.

My hangup about the Hina situation though is that all she had to do was wait 6 months for Natsuo to graduate and their relationship was no longer illegal, or unethical. She didn't have to transfer away without a word or forwarding address. It's like burning down your house when you see a roach. She could have easily told Natsuo they were busted, she was transferring away and their relationship was on hold for at least 6 months. If either one of them couldn't wait 6 months, then mutually break up like normal adults. Then again, she could have told him before they started dating..."I like you and I am willing to wait...do you like me enough to wait? If so...wait"

I dunno, maybe as a guy closer to 40 than 35, 6 months to a year just doesn't seem like a very long wait to me.
2984 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Beneath the stars.
Offline
Posted 10/1/18 , edited 10/1/18

HOOfan_1 wrote:


MeltingSky wrote:


Exiling herself served two purposes. The first and by far the most important reason was it was a condition from the school officials for her getting to keep a lid on the whole scandal and save bother herself and her family from ruin. The second was much more personal which is that she was unable to bear facing her family after bringing such crushing shame down upon herself and them by association. Seriously, can you imagine trying to face your family after getting caught statutory raping your own little sister or bother?



I think you mean Hina and not Rui.

I actually get the impression that this is less taboo in Japan than in the US. The age of consent seems to be a lot lower in Japan, and the incest angle seems to be less taboo as well. Plus they were both physically adults when their parents married. They already had feelings for each other before they even became step-siblings.

Neither of them seemed worried about legal consequences either...and there were none even when Hina was found out. In the US, Hina absolutely would have been prosecuted.

Since the scandal was not exposed, there was no need for exile. All she had to do was transfer schools and break off her relationship with Natsuo. Since she was still phoning her mom, it seems she wasn't completely averse to facing them. Also there are hints that when Natsuo graduates High School and becomes a successful writer they plan to get together again.

Again, if she had at least tried to talk to Natsuo before unilaterally making the decision to go, it would have been better. Her whole idea of leaving was to preserve Natsuo's dream of becoming a novelist. What if he dropped out of school to go find her? What if he committed suicide because of his grief?

This reminds me a lot of Ayano's mother in Hanebado. "I'm abandoning you to help make you follow your own dream" but it nearly ends up ruining the person they want to help.


Oops, it was pretty late at night and it seems I got a few wires crossed in my brain with their names.

In the USA HIna would not have been prosecuted since there was absolutely no proof she did the nasty with her underage student. To be actually prosecuted for committing a crime there needs to be pretty solid evidence even in the USA. I have two different friends who were fucking their high school teachers long before they were old enough for it to not be considered statutorily rape and in both cases it was pretty widely known that they were doing so. One of them even got caught in the act of kissing his music teacher on campus by other students. Nothing ever came of it other than I think that one Music teacher eventually switching to another school mostly due to embarrassment about the rumors.

As a general rule of thumb for every one person that is caught and stopped from committing a crime there are hundreds or even thousands who succeeded without penalty depending on the type of crime. Keep that in mind the next time you watch the news.

Anyway, the reason I suggested getting caught committing incestuous statutory rape in Japan would be so much more devastating for your personal and professional well being and that of your close family members isn't because Japan looks down on these crimes and taboos any more intensely than we do in the west, but rather because of the high context nature of their culture.

In high context cultures any sort of offensive aberrant behavior or social blemish is taken MUCH more seriously than here in the west, and will reflect poorly on everyone who is close to you as well. Guilt by association is much more a thing in a high context society than a low context one. Doing something like publicly telling your boss to go fuck himself might get you fired in the west. In Japan that is the sort of thing that can get you black listed from an entire industry. Also, when you get caught doing something heinous it will not just stain your own name, but your family's or close associates as well.

Anyway, I don't disagree with you that Hina could have handled it better, but her reaction was understandable given the situation. What she got caught doing is the sort of thing a lot of people would end their own lives over. Running away and trying to avoid ever having to face any of your family members again is not really that abnormal of a reaction to being caught by your employer committing statutory rape with your own under age student and little brother, blood related or otherwise.

Seriously, if you got caught sexually molesting your under age little brother at work how would you react? Would you want to seek out your parents and to sit down with them and have a big happy family discussion about the whole thing? Or would you want to run as far and fast as you could from the entire burning wreck that is your life?

A large percentage of families would just strait up disown a family member caught doing something like this. I have unfortunately seen several real world cases involving people I know who were raped by much older family members when they were kids and in every one of those instances when the truth got out it tore their families apart permanently. Admittedly, my real world examples are quite a bit worse than what happened in this story, but fundamentally they were quite similar. One was between blood relatives the other was relation by marriage both with a much larger age gap.
7840 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/2/18 , edited 10/2/18

MeltingSky wrote:

Seriously, if you got caught sexually molesting your under age little brother at work how would you react? Would you want to seek out your parents and to sit down with them and have a big happy family discussion about the whole thing? Or would you want to run as far and fast as you could from the entire burning wreck that is your life?
.


She wasn't really molesting him though, and he really wasn't under age. I think he was at least 17 or 18 when they finally did the horizontal shuffle. Well over the age of consent in Japan.

Her mother did warn her about a relationship with Natsuo though, but it doesn't seem she would have disowned her.

Her mother went to the trouble of hiring a private detective to make sure she was safe. Plus the fact that apparently Hina does still keep in contact with her mom, albeit without telling her mom where exactly she is living. She has to know the mom could put 2 and 2 together considering the mother already questioned her about her relationship with Natsuo and then suddenly transferring schools dropping off the map and of course the reaction that Natsuo had.

I don't think Hina dropped off the map because she was embarrassed to face her family. I think she dropped off the map because she wanted to completely cut ties with Natsuo. She wanted to do it for herself, because she didn't think she could keep her love in check if saw Natsuo even every once in a while, and most of all I think she wanted to completely take any agency out of Natsuo's hands. She wanted to cut him off without any chance of trying to talk her out of her decision.

Considering her previous actions and the way she admitted to saying things specifically to hurt Natsuo, I also think she wanted to hurt Natsuo enough to make the break clean. I think she honestly wanted to protect Natsuo's dream of becoming a writer. As I keep saying though, her actions could easily have broken him and his dreams. She says she wants him to forget about her, but both of them seem to be waiting, and putting their romantic life on hold as if they are waiting to get back together after Natsuo graduates or becomes an established author.

Overall though, they both discussed the consequences at the beginning of their relationship and both of them said they were willing to face those consequences. Then when a little hardship comes along, Hina bailed without even asking Natsuo what he wanted. Her whole reason for bailing was to protect Natsuo, but she gave him absolutely no input on the situation. Again, just like Tomoya in Clannad and Ayano's mother in Hanebado...anyone who claims they are breaking off a relationship to help the other person, without even discussing the matter with the other person is full of shit.


Oh and DAMN do I wish Hina's old boyfriend Shuu would have a run in with Truck-Kun.
P0x 
137 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/6/18 , edited 10/7/18
I just discovered this manga tonight. It's definitely addicting. I've had a marathon of the first 36 chapters. I'm going to put the rest of it on the back burner, though. I don't want to absorb it all in such a short time. I'm going to find a new manga to read, until I get anxious enough to finish domestic girlfriend.
67 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/11/18 , edited 10/11/18



also if anyone is interested in something along the lines of domestic girlfriend I'd recommend : Minamoto-kun Monogatari
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.